6 Tips to Rank Higher in Search Engines
Posted by Support, Last modified by Support on 31 March 2009 05:20 PM
Website positioning is a long-term strategy, requiring persistence, willingness to learn, and a lot of patience. For quick results, you will need to use Google Adwords or other paid advertisements.|
To attain good natural rankings in search engines like Google, you need to create a quality website, with quality content and quality inbound links, focused around the right keywords and keyword phrases.
Here are the general steps to follow:
- Find the right keywords. Using tools such as Overture's Keyword Suggestion Tool, find keyphrases that people actually search for. Use Google to estimate how saturated the market is for that keyword phrase before investing a lot of time going after it.
- Focus each page on one keyphrase. Search engines determine the topic of each page on an individual basis, for the most part. So make your pages focused. Learn how to optimize your pages. For example, make sure your keyphrase is in the title and H1 tags.
- Get quality incoming links. Quality means both that the page linking to you is related to the topic your page is about, and that the actual link text contains your keywords. You can do such things as reading up on topics related to your web site and posting a repsonse in a blog along with putting a signuature link to your web site. It is also important that you grow your links in a "natural" fashion. If you appear to Google to have gone from 0 incoming links to 100 overnight, you might trip one of their infamous "over-optimization filters". Which leads us to...
- Rinse and repeat. Make sure you are adding pages and incoming links on a regular basis, over time. Website positioning takes time, and lots of it.
- Don't be spammy. You may think you have an ingenious way to fool the search engines into ranking you higher, but trust me, it's been done. Or it will soon be done, and overdone, until everyone doing it is banned from Google. The only way to win this game in the long run is to build your site, from the ground up, as a quality, content-rich site that is worth linking to.
- Keep Learning. These tips are just the broad strokes. You'll need to devote some serious time to learning to succeed. Webmaster World is a great place to start.