WordPress is developed on PHP as a programming language and supports MySQL for it's database. It has many themes, templates, plugins which help increasing the functionality of the website, but can slow wordpress itself down.
Over the years it has been identified that you may end up having slow WordPress website, if you don’t take proper measures. Slow site may result in losing visitors and in turn losing your precious business.
The Importance of Site Speed
Site speed can be defined as the quickness of your website while loading when it is opened up by a visitor. There have been so many technological advancements in the recent past which has brought in high speed Internet. So, on the Internet speed part the visitor is very sure. It might be your site’s loading time which may seem like ages to the visitor. If such is the case, it is apparent that you should take all the steps to reduce the loading time of your website.
9 Ways to Speed Up
Here are the some potential ways to increase your site speed.
- Using Default Themes: Keeping your website simple is the mantra. Instead of using customized and fully loaded website have default themes to make your website look simpler and load faster.
- Choosing Appropriate Host: While hosting a website, it is important to understand the hosting requirements and your budget constraints. Owing to the budget constraint or for any other reason if you are opting for shared website hosting, you may have to pay the price later in terms of the speed of your website. Through shared web hosting, the web hosting service provider allocates spaces to the websites on the same server. The best part of having shared space is that you enjoy the ease of its services, but it can literally kill the speed of your website. For such a scenario, it is recommended to check out our VPS, dedicated server or SolarGrid services.
- Pay Attention to Your Caching Plugin: Check whether your caching plugin is coming in the way of website speed. It is recommended to have caching plugins which are on website WordPress.org. To be more specific, W3 Total Cache plugin shall be considered for its easy installation and use as it helps caching the elements of website loading it faster.
- Image Optimization: Reducing size of the image is the key for loading a website faster than ever. Again, you cannot optimize the images one by one, so use plugins which help optimizing all the images on your website at once.
- Make Your Homepage Simpler: You can minimize the content on your homepage without practically reducing it, thus increasing speed of the website. Here are some simpler ways:
- Reduction in number of posts per page
- Showing only the excerpts of the content on the home page
- Do not include sharing widgets on the homepage and remove those which are sparingly used or not at all used
- Control on the Post Revisions: Revisions while writing the posts are inevitable, but not letting them impact your website speed is in your hands. WordPress keeps storing all the revisions you make to your post. Controlling it will surely help you increasing the speed of the website.
- Replacing PHP with HTML (static): You might have to do a bit of coding here, but replacing PHP with static HTML certainly shall help reducing loading time of the website.
- Turn off Trackbacks: You can try and limit the pingbacks and trackbacks which are given to your websites by other blogs. This setting will surely help you getting a faster website.
- LazyLoad the Images: As the webpage unfolds, the images are loaded; this process is called LazyLoad and is very useful in increasing speed of the website.
WordPress is a great platform for blogging and content management system. Some precautions when taken at the right time will save your time and your visitor’s time as well.